The Town of Witless Bay is currently seeking an experienced Chief Administrative Officer. This role requires a dynamic and positive-minded individual who thrives in a challenging work environment. The ideal candidate can demonstrate progressive experience in a municipal government or management role.
This is a full-time permanent management position with competitive salary and benefits. The successful candidate will report to the 7-member Town Council and have 5 direct reports, including Fire Chief, Town Clerk, Financial and Administrative Assistant, and two Maintenance Workers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Perform the statutory duties of Chief Administrative Officer (Town Manager) as contained in Section 54 of the Municipalities Act, 1999;
● Temporarily assume the legislative duties of Town Clerk;
● Supervise Town employees and provide organizational leadership;
● Act as the principal advisor to Council in the development of public policy;
● Provide Council with all relevant information required to make informed decisions;
● Ensure organizational strategies, plans and initiatives are aligned with Council’s vision, values, and priorities;
● Develop detailed capital and operating budgets, forecast and long-term financial plans for approval of the Council and monitor all financial activities of the Town;
● Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Provincial Legislation and Regulations that affect the policy decisions of Council; and
● Fulfill duties designated by Council under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Education, Experience, and General Requirements:
● Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Commerce, Political Science, or in another related field;
● 5+ years in a similar municipal or administrative role with supervisory experience;
● Experience working with elected officials, appointed or volunteer boards;
● Demonstrable experience as a Change Agent;
● Thorough understanding of the municipal financial and budgeting processes;
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
● Excellent attention to detail;
● Superior time management and organizational skills;
● Experience with updating social media and/or websites would be an asset;
● Applicants must hold a valid NL driver’s license;
● The successful candidate must be able to provide a clear Certificate of Conduct and be bondable; and
● Candidates possessing an equivalent combination of experience and training as outlined for these positions may be considered.
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Closing Date: May 14, 2023
Anticipated Start Date: June 5, 2023
If you are interested in joining a dedicated team to provide effective and efficient municipal services and programs, please submit a cover letter and resume, in PDF format, to email@example.com no later than 4:00 pm on Sunday, May 14, 2023. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on the Town of Witless Bay please visit our website at Town of Witless Bay. For more information on this position, please contact Sandy Hounsell at (709) 730-4108.
The Town of Witless Bay is committed to employment equity and diversity. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, experiences and identities.